cartoon homes in or near flood waters

Protect the life you’ve built.

Get flood insurance coverage for your personal belongings.

Proteja la vida que ha creado

You’ve built a life with things that are important to you and your family – clothes, electronics, furniture. When a flood damages them, it can be emotionally and financially devastating.

Protect what’s important to you. Having flood insurance is crucial to protect your belongings and ensure that your family recovers after a flood.

Whether you’re a renter, homeowner, or business owner, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) offers personal property coverage (contents coverage) to make sure the things inside of your home are protected.

Icon indicating more information

Find an Agent: To purchase NFIP flood insurance, call your insurance agent—the same person who sells you home or auto insurance. Have questions about flood insurance? Call the NFIP Help Center at 800-427-4661.

What does flood insurance cover?

Furniture, televisions, washers, dryers, and more. And if you own your home, you can get additional coverage for the physical structure of the building.

The following items are a sample of those covered under NFIP contents coverage:

  • Clothing
  • Furniture
  • Televisions, radios, and other personal electronic equipment
  • Portable and window air conditioners
  • Microwave ovens and dishwashers
  • Washers and dryers
  • Curtains
  • Freezers and the food in them (but not refrigerators)
  • Certain valuable items such as original artwork (up to $2,500)

Lower-cost coverage options

If you live in a low- to moderate-risk flood area, the NFIP offers a lower-cost flood insurance option: the Preferred Risk Policy (PRP).

PRPs offer the same reliable protection for your belongings as a high-risk policy, but at a more affordable rate. In fact, you can purchase a contents-only policy starting at less than $100 dollars a year, including fees and surcharges.

PRP contents coverage costs

$8,000 $99
$12,000 $132
$20,000 $179
$30,000 $204

Rates reflect Preferred Risk Policy contents-only coverage as of January 1, 2019. To be eligible for a PRP, you must live in the low- to moderate-risk flood areas—zones B, C, X, AR, or A99. If you live in zones A or V, call your insurance agent to learn about Standard Flood Insurance Policy rates.

Icon indicating more information

Know your flood zone: Higher flood risk means higher flood insurance rates. Visit FEMA’s Map Service Center to learn about your property’s flood risk and your designated flood zone.

How to purchase a policy

You can purchase an NFIP personal property (contents coverage) flood policy at any time. However, there is typically a 30-day waiting period before an NFIP policy goes into effect. Don’t wait until the next storm arrives. Purchase flood insurance today.

To purchase NFIP flood insurance, call your insurance agent—the same person who sells you home or auto insurance.

For more information about flood insurance, call the NFIP Help Center at 800-427-4661.

Flood insurance is a good value

After a flood, federal disaster assistance will help kickstart your recovery, but it is not enough for full recovery. Most types of federal disaster assistance come in the form of low-interest disaster loans that must be repaid with interest.

Only flood insurance reimburses you for flood damage, providing the necessary funds for recovery—and you don’t have to pay it back. Unlike private insurers, the NFIP is guaranteed by the federal government—so you can trust that you will receive reimbursement on time after a disaster.