Skip to Main Content

Residential Coverage Residential Coverage

Residential Buildings

Protect Yourselft With Flood Insurance Protect Yourself with Flood Insurance

Just a few inches of water from a flood can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage. From 2010 to 2014 the average residential flood claim amounted to more than $39,000. In 2014, the average flood insurance policy premium was about $700 per year. Flood insurance is the best way to protect yourself from devastating financial loss.

Flood insurance is available to homeowners, renters, condo owners/renters, and commercial owners/renters. Costs vary depending on how much insurance is purchased, what it covers and the property's flood risk.

All policy forms provide coverage for buildings and contents. However, you might want to discuss insuring personal property with your agent, since contents coverage is optional. Typically, there's a 30-day waiting period from date of purchase before your policy goes into effect. That means now is the best time to buy flood insurance.

Flood Policies for HomeOwners

Flood insurance is available to everyone, from high-risk areas to moderate-to-low risk ones.

Learn More

Flood Policies for Renters

There are many flood policies available for renters, including contents-only flood insurance.

Learn More

Flood Policies for Condo Owners / Renters

If you rent or own a condominium unit, you may want to look at both building coverage and contents coverage.

Learn More

How We Determine Policy Rates

Policy rates are based on many factors, including flood risk, amount of coverage and elevation.

Learn More

Know What's Covered

Flood insurance covers property damage and personal items, but it's always smart to know what's covered.

Learn More

Understanding The Basics

Learn the essentials to flood insurance, including what it covers, what it protects and who it protects.

Learn More

Questions for Your Agent

A lot of things determine what policy is best for your business, so if you have questions, now's the time to ask.

Learn More

Find an Agent in Your Area

If you're looking for an agent, here is a quick, handy tool that will help you get started.

Learn More


For flood insurance rating purposes, a primary residence is a building that will be lived in by the insured or the insured's spouse for at least 80 percent of the 365 days following the policy effective date. If the building will be lived in for less than 80 percent of the policy year, it is considered to be a non-primary residence.

How Can I get Covered?

  • Rate your risk
  • Estimate your premiums
  • Find an agent

Contact Us | Site Map | Help | NFIP
Change font size
Last Updated: Tuesday, 17-Nov-2015, 4:57 PM (EST)

500 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20472
Disaster Assistance: (800) 621-FEMA, TTY (800) 462-7585
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
FEMA Home | Contact FEMA | Privacy Policy | Required Notices | FOIA | | DHS | Agent Site | Accessibility