Skip Navigation


Frequently Asked Questions

Does this eligibility extension also affect those property owners with buildings already in high risk areas (e.g., A or V zone) that are newly mapped into higher risk flood zones or in areas with new or higher Base Flood Elevations (BFEs)?

No. The two-year PRP eligibility extension is distinct from existing grandfathering rules and does not apply to properties that were already located in SFHAs prior to the map change. Existing grandfathering rules already provide relief to property owners with buildings already in SFHAs that are newly mapped into higher risk flood zones (e.g., from AE to VE) or in areas with higher BFEs.

Back to Frequently Asked Questions: Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) Eligibility Extension


For flood insurance rating purposes, a primary residence is a building that will be lived in by the insured or the insured's spouse for at least 80 percent of the 365 days following the policy effective date. If the building will be lived in for less than 80 percent of the policy year, it is considered to be a non-primary residence.

How Can I get Covered?

  • Rate your risk
  • Estimate your premiums
  • Find an agent

Contact Us | Site Map | Help | NFIP
Change font size
Last Updated: Sunday, 13-Apr-2014, 4:35 PM (EDT)

500 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20472
Disaster Assistance: (800) 621-FEMA, TTY (800) 462-7585
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
FEMA Home | Contact FEMA | Privacy Policy | Important Notices | FOIA | | DHS | Agent Site | Accessibility