Skip Navigation


Frequently Asked Questions

Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) Eligibility Extension

What is a Preferred Risk flood insurance policy?
What types of coverage does a PRP offer?
What are the changes to PRP that could affect me?
Why is the NFIP extending PRP eligibility? What led to this decision?
What benefits does the PRP eligibility extension provide?
Are the additional two years of the PRP retroactive?
If I already have a PRP, how much will my policy increase due to this change?
When will eligible existing policyholders be notified of the two-year PRP eligibility extension?
Does this eligibility extension also affect those property owners with buildings already in high risk areas (e.g., A or V zone) that are newly mapped into higher risk flood zones or in areas with new or higher Base Flood Elevations (BFEs)?
If property ownership changes hands, is the new owner granted the remainder of the two-year PRP eligibility extension?
If there is a lapse in coverage, will coverage be reinstated under the PRP?
What is the "end date" to the PRP eligibility extension?
Why aren't policyholders with properties included in SFHAs before October 1, 2008 eligible for the extension?
What actions do I need to take and where can I go for more information on the PRP eligibility extension?
What will my agent need to convert my policy back to a PRP?
Does this replace grandfathering?
If during the PRP extension eligibility period, the agent did not obtain the necessary information to rate the building as a PRP and a property was later found to be eligible for the PRP extension, can the agent go back and re-rate it and the insured receive a refund?

Don't see your question? Go to the NFIP’s Answers to Questions


For flood insurance rating purposes, a primary residence is a building that will be lived in by the insured or the insured's spouse for at least 80 percent of the 365 days following the policy effective date. If the building will be lived in for less than 80 percent of the policy year, it is considered to be a non-primary residence.

How Can I get Covered?

  • Rate your risk
  • Estimate your premiums
  • Find an agent

Contact Us | Site Map | Help | NFIP
Change font size
Last Updated: Sunday, 13-Apr-2014, 4:35 PM (EDT)

500 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20472
Disaster Assistance: (800) 621-FEMA, TTY (800) 462-7585
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
FEMA Home | Contact FEMA | Privacy Policy | Important Notices | FOIA | | DHS | Agent Site | Accessibility