Skip Navigation


Frequently Asked Questions

What actions do I need to take and where can I go for more information on the PRP Eligibility Extension?

Flood insurance carriers will be notifying eligible policyholders by mail at least 90 days before the expiration of a policy. Property owners may also contact your insurance agent to see if you qualify. To look up property addresses on past historic FIRMs or the current effective FIRM, visit FEMA's Map Service Center at For more information about this new provision and about flood insurance, you should contact your agent or visit and

Back to Frequently Asked Questions: Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) Eligibility Extension


For flood insurance rating purposes, a primary residence is a building that will be lived in by the insured or the insured's spouse for at least 80 percent of the 365 days following the policy effective date. If the building will be lived in for less than 80 percent of the policy year, it is considered to be a non-primary residence.

How Can I get Covered?

  • Rate your risk
  • Estimate your premiums
  • Find an agent

Contact Us | Site Map | Help | NFIP
Change font size
Last Updated: Sunday, 13-Apr-2014, 4:35 PM (EDT)

500 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20472
Disaster Assistance: (800) 621-FEMA, TTY (800) 462-7585
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
FEMA Home | Contact FEMA | Privacy Policy | Important Notices | FOIA | | DHS | Agent Site | Accessibility