Skip to Main Content


Frequently Asked Questions

What is Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) coverage?

If a flood damages your home or business, you may be required by law or ordinance to meet certain building compliancy requirements in your community to reduce future flood damage. To help with these costs, the National Flood Insurance Program includes Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) coverage for all eligible properties insured under the Standard Flood Insurance Policy. You may file a claim for your Increased Cost of Compliance coverage (ICC) in three instances:

  1. If your community determines that your home or business is damaged by a flood to the point that repairs will cost 50 percent or more of the building's pre-damage market value (a lower threshold can be adopted by law or ordinance). This is called substantial damage.
  2. If your community has a repetitive loss provision in its floodplain management ordinance and determines that your home or business was damaged by a flood two times in the past 10 years, where the cost of repairing the flood damage, on the average, equaled or exceeded 25 percent of its market value at the time of each flood. This is called repetitive damage. Additionally, there must have been flood insurance claim payments for each of the two flood losses.
  3. If you participate in a FEMA-sponsored grant program and meet eligibility requirements.

Read more about ICC

Back to Frequently Asked Questions: Types of Flood Insurance

What's My Flood Risk?

Visit FEMA's Flood Map Service Center to locate your flood map to help determine your flood risk.

Contact Us | Site Map | Help | NFIP | Glossary | Email Updates
Last Updated: Tuesday, 27-Sep-2016, 1:47 PM (EDT)

500 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20472
Disaster Assistance: (800) 621-FEMA, TTY (800) 462-7585
U.S. Department of Homeland Security