Skip to Main Content

Flooding & Flood Risks

Converting Your Policy

If your property is mapped from a high-risk area to a moderate or low-risk area, and you have a loan, your lender may no longer require that you carry flood insurance. But your flood risk is only reduced, not removed. You should consider maintaining coverage. In fact, over 20-percent of all flood insurance claims come from areas outside of mapped high-risk flood zones. A Preferred Risk Policy provides both building and contents coverage for properties in moderate- to low-risk areas for one low-price. You will even be refunded the difference paid from your existing policy with no lapse in coverage. Ask your insurance agent for more details.

Converting Your Policy Saves You Money and Keeps You Protected

See how changes in levee designation can affect your flood insurance

Learn your risk, and find an agent, by taking Your Risk Profile.


For flood insurance rating purposes, a primary residence is a building that will be lived in by the insured or the insured's spouse for at least 80 percent of the 365 days following the policy effective date. If the building will be lived in for less than 80 percent of the policy year, it is considered to be a non-primary residence.

How Can I get Covered?

  • Rate your risk
  • Estimate your premiums
  • Find an agent

Contact Us | Site Map | Help | NFIP | Glossary
Last Updated: Wednesday, 22-Jun-2016, 0:56 PM (EDT)

500 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20472
Disaster Assistance: (800) 621-FEMA, TTY (800) 462-7585
U.S. Department of Homeland Security