Skip to Main Content


Flood Policies for Homeowners


As a homeowner, it's important to insure your home and its contents. Depending on your property's location, your home is either considered at high risk or at moderate to low risk for a flood. Your flood insurance premium will vary based on your risk.

Moderate to Low Flood Risk

Flood insurance isn't federally required in moderate- to low-risk areas, but it's still a good idea. In fact, people in these areas file more than 20 percent of all National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) flood insurance claims. Most homeowners in moderate- to low-risk areas can get coverage at a reduced rate. Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) premiums, the lowest premiums available through the NFIP, offer building and contents coverage for one low price. If you don't qualify for a PRP, a standard-rated policy is still available.

High Flood Risk

If you live in a high-risk area, you are required to purchase flood insurance if you have a mortgage through a federally regulated or insured lender. A standard-rated policy offers separate building and contents coverage.

Flood Insurance Forms

The Dwelling Policy Form provides insurance for buildings with one to four units, including single-family condominium units and townhouses. The General Property Policy Form provides insurance for other residential and commercial buildings. Both forms offer the option of insuring the building's contents.

Flood Insurance Premiums

Premiums are calculated based on factors such as:

  • Year of building construction.
  • Building occupancy.
  • Number of floors.
  • Location of its contents.
  • Flood risk (e.g., its flood zone).
  • Location of the lowest floor in relation to the Base Flood Elevation on the flood map.
  • Deductible and amount of building and contents coverage.

Learn your flood risk and find agents in your area by completing your One-Step Flood Risk Profile on this page. Or enter your ZIP code to find an agent.

Adobe Reader Note: Adobe Reader is required to view PDF documents. Download the Free Adobe Reader

What's My Flood Risk?

Visit FEMA's Flood Map Service Center to locate your flood map to help determine your flood risk.

Contact Us | Site Map | Help | NFIP | Glossary | Email Updates
Last Updated: Tuesday, 27-Sep-2016, 1:47 PM (EDT)

500 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20472
Disaster Assistance: (800) 621-FEMA, TTY (800) 462-7585
U.S. Department of Homeland Security