Skip to Main Content


Flood Policies for renters


If you are a tenant, it is wise to insure your contents. The policy premium is based on several factors, including the flood risk of the building that you occupy.

Moderate to Low Flood Risk

Flood insurance isn't federally required in moderate- to low-risk areas, but it's still a good idea. In fact, people in these areas file more than 20 percent of all National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) flood insurance claims. Most condo owners and renters in moderate- to low-risk areas can obtain coverage at a reduced rate. Preferred Risk Policy premiums, the lowest premiums available through the NFIP, offer building and contents coverage for one low price. If you don't qualify for a Preferred Risk Policy, a standard-rated policy is still available.

High Flood Risk

If you rent in a high-risk area, a standard-rated policy offers contents coverage.

Flood Insurance Premiums

Premiums are calculated based on factors such as:

  • Year of building construction.
  • Building occupancy.
  • Number of floors.
  • Location of its contents.
  • Flood risk (e.g., its flood zone).
  • Location of the lowest floor in relation to the Base Flood Elevation on the flood map.
  • Deductible and amount of coverage.

Learn your flood risk and find agents in your area by completing your One-Step Flood Risk Profile on this page. Or enter your ZIP code to find an agent.

Adobe Reader Note: Adobe Reader is required to view PDF documents. Download the Free Adobe Reader

What's My Flood Risk?

Visit FEMA's Flood Map Service Center to locate your flood map to help determine your flood risk.

Contact Us | Site Map | Help | NFIP | Glossary | Email Updates
Last Updated: Tuesday, 27-Sep-2016, 1:47 PM (EDT)

500 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20472
Disaster Assistance: (800) 621-FEMA, TTY (800) 462-7585
U.S. Department of Homeland Security