Skip to Main Content

Flooding & Flood Risks

Converting Your Policy

If your property is mapped from a high-risk area to a moderate- to low-risk area and you have a loan, your lender may no longer require that you carry flood insurance. But your flood risk is only reduced, not removed. You should consider maintaining coverage.

Why Flood Insurance Is Important in Moderate- to Low-Risk Areas

Floodwaters don’t stop at a line on a map. In fact, more than 20 percent of National Flood Insurance Program claims come from areas outside of mapped high-risk flood zones. And just a few inches of floodwater can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage to your home and its contents.

If you qualify, a Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) provides both building and contents coverage for one low price. Your current policy will be converted to a PRP with no additional costs, and you will even be refunded the difference paid from your existing policy with no lapse in coverage. Ask your insurance agent for more details.

What's My Flood Risk?

Visit FEMA's Flood Map Service Center to locate your flood map to help determine your flood risk.

Contact Us | Site Map | Help | NFIP | Glossary | Email Updates
Last Updated: Tuesday, 27-Sep-2016, 1:47 PM (EDT)

500 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20472
Disaster Assistance: (800) 621-FEMA, TTY (800) 462-7585
U.S. Department of Homeland Security