This page explains how you can get answers to questions or issues you are having with your flood policy, flood claim, flood map, after a disaster or something else entirely. When you get answers and assistance, it strengthens our partnership so together we can continue to protect America from the devastation of flood losses.

Is Your Problem With...

    • First, contact your insurance agent. The insurance agent who handles your homeowners or renters insurance policy could be the same agent who handles your flood insurance policy.
    • If your agent cannot assist you, contact your insurance company
    • If you have a policy with NFIP Direct (i.e., if you see a FEMA logo at the top of your Declaration page), call NFIP Direct Customer Care at 800-638-6620.
    • First, contact your insurance adjuster. If you are unable to resolve your concerns with your adjuster, contact the adjuster’s supervisor by calling the adjusting firm.
    • If you still don’t have a satisfactory resolution, contact your insurance company
    • If you have a policy with NFIP Direct (i.e., if you see a FEMA logo at the top of your Declaration page), call NFIP Direct Claims at 800-767-4341.
    • If you have received a denial letter (either for some of all of your flood claim), and using all of the steps in the flood claims process has not led to a resolution you are comfortable with, you may want to explore next-step options, like possibly getting an appraisal or filing a flood claim appeal, among others.
  • If you need information about the flood map for your community or do not agree with the flood zone determination for your building, contact FEMA’s Flood Map Service Center at 877-FEMA-MAP (877-336-2627) to answer many of your questions and give you information on how to dispute your flood zone.

  • National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) policyholders, who have questions about their flood insurance policy or the claims process, and disaster survivors, who have general questions about the NFIP, can contact the support hotline by:

    • Calling toll-free 800-427-4661.
    • For individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability using 711 or VRS, please call 866-337-4262. For individuals using a TTY, please call 800-462-7585.

    When calling, please have the following information available:

    • Contact information (name, telephone number or email address, if applicable)
    • Policy number
    • Name of flood insurance carrier
    • The nature of your request

    This information will help the representative answer your questions quickly and efficiently.

    • The NFIP Help Center can answer general inquiries about flood insurance, call 800-427-4661.
    • Contact Ask the Expert by email at
    • If after using the above resources or others available to you (i.e. insurance agent, insurance company, etc.), you still need help and answers, please contact the The Advocate’s Office for assistance.